Sowing & Planting
- Sow peas direct, or if you want to stop the mice from eating them, sow into small pots until they have rooted before planting out.
- Plant early potatoes into trenches or holes in the first half of the month and lates in the second half of the month.
- Transplant onions and shallots direct into the ground.
- Pot up brassicas into 3" pots.
- Pot up tomatoes, sweet peppers and chilli when the first true leaves appear.
- Sow French Beans, spinach, beetroot, Swiss chard, radish, turnip outdoors, direct into the ground.
- Sow carrots into finally sieved soil to avoid stones.
- Sow sweetcorn into long root training modules.
- Sow courgettes & squashes direct on in pots.
- Asparagus, cut half an inch below the ground.
- Spring cauliflowers and sprouting broccoli.
Preparation & Planning
- Prepare seedbeds by hoeing and marking with string.
- Protect young seedlings and plant with cloches.
- Thin out seeds when they get large enough to handle.
- Prune cherries and plums once leaf buds have opened.