Pre and Post War Years
Walton Road Allotment Gardens are situated on Walton Road, Sale. Sale is a town in Trafford, Greater Manchester. Historically in Cheshire, it is on the south bank of the River Mersey, 1.9 miles (3.1 km) south of Stretford, 2.5 miles (4.0 km) northeast of Altrincham and 5.2 miles (8.4 km) southwest of Manchester.
In 1829, Samuel Brooks, a banker, acquired 515 acres of land in Sale – about a quarter of the township. This land included the land that Walton Road allotments now occupies and the land given over to Sale Cemetery. The area later became known as Brooklands after the land owner.
Ean Cecil was the Great Grandson of Samuel Brooks. On the 19th January 1921 the land was bought from “The Trustees of Ean Francis Cecil’s Marriage Settlement” for £2400 pounds. It was purchased by Sale Burial Board for an extension of Sale cemetery. The allotment gardens are actually consecrated ground.
In 1934, prior to the commencement of the 2nd World War, the ground adjacent to the cemetery was made into informal allotments. Walton Road Allotments was born. It consists of 1.7 acres of land and was divided into 33 plots. Everyone was encouraged to Dig For Victory!
The Walton Road Allotment Society (WRAS) was formed in 2007 and is now responsible for the upkeep of the site which includes things like fundraising, cutting grass thoroughfares, cutting hedges and general maintenance.
We have received several grants over the years, including funds for garden equipment, a toilet facility, picnic benches, storeroom and a meeting cabin. We also raise funds by plant and produce sales.
"The History Of Walton Road Allotments" is a detailed account of our history and is available as a document or a presentation.