- 1.35kg marrow, peeled & chopped into 1cm dice
- 450g onions, finely chopped, or minced
- 450g ripe tomatoes, peeled & sliced
- 570ml malt vinegar
- 115g dates
- 2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 675g brown sugar
- Put all the marrow, onions and tomatoes in a pan with half the vinegar. Stone and chop the dates and add to the pan. Simmer gently until soft and pulpy and the marrow can easily be crushed.
- Add spices, pepper and salt and simmer for a further 15 minutes. Stir in the sugar and remaining vinegar. Continue cooking until thick (No liquid should ooze into the path made by the wooden spoon as it is drawn cross the pan).
- Pour into warm jars with plastic or plastic coated metal lids.